If you’re a professional woodworker or DIY enthusiast, having a high-quality router is essential for creating precise cuts and designs. The Dewalt dwp611pk Compact Router is a powerful tool that offers both versatility and precision, making it a popular choice among woodworkers.
The Dewalt dwp611pk is a compact router with a 1.25 hp “Variable Speed Compact Router Combo Kit”. Which significantly improves the utility of this impressive power tool. This model comes with a fixed and plunge base, and it’s packed with useful features, including two bright LED lights, variable speed control, and an intuitive depth setting adjustment ring.
This is a small router that punches above its weight, and it can do anything that a laminate trimmer can achieve. Including flush-trimming, round-overs, chamfers, mortising for hinges, and inlay work with the plunge base. It has a two-handed grip for improved cutting precision and stability. It has sufficient power to tackle joinery cuts such as small mortises and dadoes.
In this article, we will take a closer look at the Dewalt dwp611pk compact router to help you make an informed purchasing decision.
The Dewalt dwp611pk Router has Six Key Features:
- Variable Speed Control: This Dewalt plunge router has a bit speed that can be changed and optimized for specific applications.
- Dual LED Lights: These are mounted on the housing, they are bright, and with the clear sub-base the visibility is maximized.
- The Motor: This router is powered by a durable 1.25 hp soft-start motor that delivers full-time electronic feedback to maintain the motor speed during the entire cut.
- Two Base Options: The fixed base is made of aluminum, it’s light, compact, and removable. The base is easy to hold comfortably, and there are tight tolerances between the motor assembly and the base. The plunge base is larger than the fixed base and when it’s installed the total weight rises to 6 lbs 10 oz. The additional weight is welcome when plunge cuts are required because the entire router feels more stable. A large quick release lever can be depressed to make fast depth adjustments.
- Depth Adjustment: A positive spring loading locking mechanism keeps the depth securely in place until the lever is unlocked and the dial is adjusted. For simple depth settings, a marker and depth scale are used. For finer adjustments, there is a micro-rod, and in fixed-base mode, this router can be controlled with one hand. This makes quick depth of cut adjustments easier and a rotating adjuster ring threads on the motor to add the base.
- Included Accessories: The Dewalt dwp611pk compact router comes with a number of useful accessories, including a fixed-base, a plunge-base, the owner’s manual, a collet wrench, and a handy Dewalt canvas carry bag.
- This compact router is easy to use.
- It delivers excellent performance.
- It has a powerful 1-25 hp motor.
- This is a versatile and durable router.
- The value proposition is high with a matching price point.
- This is not an ideal router for heavy-duty routing tasks.
- This may be a heavy router for some users.
How the Dewalt DWP611PK Stacks Up:
Having access to different routers in a single easy to use power tool is a real advantage. The two bases can be used to make a wide variety of cuts. This router can create smooth and round finished edges on 1×4 pine with a ¼” round over bit.
Because this is a compact router you can palm the tool and use it with one hand. The LED lights improve the visibility, and it’s easy to follow a guideline.
The soft start motor ramps up to speed in a few tenths of a second and not instantly. So, the tool can jerk momentarily when it first starts up, and a firm grip is needed until you get used to the torque.
Depth Adjustment of the Dewalt DWP611PK
When you need to make a depth adjustment no special tools are required. Simply open the quick release latch and make the coarse or fine tuning tweaks with the adjustable ring. How the router bits are changed is simple because the button can be activated with the stabilizing hand.
There are twelve motor shaft pin indents that lock the pin stops to the shaft. The fixed base works well for heavy flush trimming and large edge profiles. This router only weighs 4 lbs 10 oz, and it can be used for a long time before you experience fatigue.
Speed of Motor
The RPMs can be changed with the variable speed control to improve efficiency when various cuts are made on different wood types. Plunge and stepped cuts on 1x wood with a 5/16x1x1 straight mortising bit are smooth and consistent.
The motor speed remains consistent on harder woods like oak and softer woods like pine. This smooth action can be attributed to the electronic motor speed controller system. This monitors the motor speed and makes micro adjustments to keep it running at the speed setting you dialed in.
The router sub-base is made from clear plexiglass which provides superior visibility with the pair of bright LED lights. This improves accuracy. The 5 step turret on the plunge base can make stepped cuts. It is rotated with a simple turn, but the fifth step can be used to customize the height using a flat head screwdriver.
The base is a great option when you need to make interior cuts for inlays, flutes, and mortises. Plunge base router has a host of useful features that promote efficient operation and easy adjustments.
Dewalt dwp611pk compact router-In Conclusion
The Dewalt dwp611pk compact router packs a lot of features into a small format that is comparable to some full size routers. The addition of the Variable Speed Compact Router Combo Kit makes this router into a virtual do-all kit for smaller scale routing projects.
There are certainly larger applications that would certainly require a larger router due to the profile, or the bit size. But, for most routing tasks, such as flush cuts, simple edge treatments, round-overs and furniture building this may be all the router most people need. If you’re looking for a compact router that comes with a fixed and plunge base, it would be hard to not recommend the Dewalt dwp611pk router.
One of the main drawbacks was the lack of a molded case for carrying and storage. The included Dewalt branded canvas carry bag feels like a last minute addition that doesn’t add much to an otherwise impressive package.
I’m Thomas Steven with more than 12 years of experience in woodworking. It has always been my passion to become a successful woodworker. I have completed hundreds of successful projects. This blog is a way of sharing my woodworking experiences and what tools get the best results. I write about woodworking while being an associate with Amazon and I earn a little commission from every qualifying purchase.